I wasn’t really looking for a new 3D printer, the Afinia H800 in the garage has been doing duty for the past year, and it’s been fine. I have generally liked the Up! printers over the past few years, primarily for their ease of use as it relates to support material removal. I recently took a look at a couple of reviews of this latest Prusa i3 MK2. Prusa is a well known name in the RepRap community, and I built an earlier version of a Prusa machine, before he actually created a company for them. That earliest experience (circa 2011) was very raw, and typical of the machines of that day, it wasn’t that great compared to the Up! of that day.
This new one caught my eye for a few reasons. Number one is the auto bed leveling. It has this probe thing checks 9 spots on the bed for distance and whatnot. It does this check before every print, so it stays accurate no matter what. Then there’s this ‘live z adjust’, which essentially is a micro adjustment that tells the distance from the probe tip to the tip of the hot end. This allows you to really find tune the first layer of filament as it’s being deposited on the bed. That’s really great. It makes height adjustment really easy, as compared to trying to slide a piece of paper under the nozzle, and doing mechanical height adjustments while you do it.
There are two things about the bed that make it especially nice. First is that the bed itself is the heated element. There’s not a separate heating element and then the bed. The bed is the heater. The bed is covered with this PEI material, which seems to be better than build tak, which I use in the Afinia machine. So far, I guess it works. If you really need to get super sticky, you can use a glue stick, for printing PETG or Nylon I guess. Haven’t done that yet. After Z height adjustment, I have found that PLA sticks just fine. I did notice curling at the edges on a few prints though. I’ll micro adjust some more, and it should be fine.
I purchased the pre-assembled machine. I noticed right out of the box there was a slight problem.
Those 4 zip ties are meant to be holding the linear bearings in tight to the orange carriage. In my case, all six of them (4 on the top bearings, 2 on the bottom) were broken. At first I thought “oh, exercise for the reader, I’m supposed to put this final bit together”, but no, they were just broken, and needed to be replaced. The box comes from the Czech republic, so somewhere along the line, this carriage must have really been tweeked to put enough pressure on these ties to cause them to break. No matter though. I had some zip ties left over from the PC build, so I was able to repair and replace. I did not notice anything else out of whack, so I went ahead and started printing.
One of the other reasons I went with this printer is the supposed support in Windows 10s 3D Builder application. I haven’t actually gotten that to work yet, but I should be able to print directly from whithin Windows without requiring any additional software. That will be nice, as then I can stay within the sweetness of that Windows app.
Other than the broken ties, this machine is a good basis for playing around with a lot of stuff. Filament loading and ejection is nice and easy, and Prusa now has a multi-color option they’re experimenting with.
At roughly $900 shipped, this printer might make for a good solid inexpensive and reliable option to build a print farm of perhaps 6 printers. At this price, I could put together 6 printers for roughly the price of a single Type-A machines printer ($5,000). That would give tremendous print capacity, and a solid high quality no-nonsense printer to boot.